Phytosomes : a Promising Technology in Novel Herbal Drug Delivery System
Herbal medicine is an essential part of the health care system all over the world. However, some of the bioactive principles have poor bioavailability and less absorption in gastro intestinal tract due to long side chains in their structure and high polarity. The challenge for herbal medicine practicenors is to enhance the bioavailability of these bioactive principles. With the advances in technology, a novel herb drug delivery system called phytosome improve absorption and bioavailability of bioactive principles and gained a substantial importance in health care system. The present review highlights the method of preparation, properties, advantages, characterization, and applications of phytosomes.
2. Ankur Choubey (2011); Phytosome- A novel approach for herbal drug delivery; International Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences and Research; 10; 807-815
3. Arijit Gandhi , Avik Dutta, Avijit Pal and Paromita Bakshi (2012); Recent Trends of Phytosomes for Delivering Herbal Extract with Improved Bioavailability; Journal of Pharmacognosy and Phytochemistry; 1(4); 6-14
4. Awasthi Rajendra, Kulkarni Giriraj, pawar Vivek(2011); Phytosomes: an approach to increase the bioavailability of plant extracts; International Journal of Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Sciences; 3(2); 1-3
5. Awasthi, R., Kulkarni, G. T., and Pawar, V. K. (2011); Phytosomes: An approach to increase the bioavailability of plant extracts; International Journal of Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Sciences; 3(2); 1-3
6. Barry J, Fritz M, Brender JR (2009); Determining the effects of lipophilic drugs on membrane structure; J Am Chem Soc; 131; 4490-4498
7. Bhattacharya S (2009); Phytosomes: emerging strategy in delivery of herbal drugs and nutraceuticals; Pharma Times; 41; 9-12
8. Bhattacharya S, Ghosh A (2008); Phytosomes: the Emerging Technology for Enhancement of Bioavailability of Botanicals and Nutraceuticals; The Internet Journal of Aesthetic and Antiaging Medicine; 2(1)
9. Bui Thanh Tung, Nguyen Thanh Hai and Phan Ke Son (2017); Hepatoprotective effect of Phytosome Curcumin against paracetamol-induced liver toxicity in mice; Braz. J. Pharm. Sci.; 53(1); e16136
10. Campos R, Garrido A, Guerra R, Valenzuela A (1989); Silybin dihemisuccinate protects against glutathione depletion and lipid peroxidation induced by acetaminophen on rat liver; Planta Med; 55; 417-9.
11. Hikino H, K. Y. (1984); Antihepatotoxic Actions of Flavonolignans from Silybum Marianum Fruits; Planta Med.; 50; 248-250
12. Jain N, Gupta BP, Thakur N, Banweer J (2008); Phytosome: A novel drug delivery system for herbal medicine; Int J Pharm Sci Drug Res; 2; 224-8
13. Jan Hüsch, Janine Bohnet, Gert Fricker, Carsten Skarke, Christian Artaria, Giovanni Appendino, Manfred Schubert-Zsilavecz, Mona Abdel-Tawab(2013); Enhanced absorption of boswellic acids by a lecithin delivery form (Phytosome®) of Boswellia extract; Fitoterapia; 84; 89-98
14. Kidd, P. M. (1996); Phytosomes, Highly Bioavailable Plant Extracts.
15. Li Y, Yang DJ, Chen SL, Chen SB, Chan AS(2008); Comparative physicochemical characterization of phospholipids complex of puerarin formulated by conventional and supercritical methods; Pharm Res 2008;25(3);563-77.
16. Maiti K, Mukherjee K, Gantait A, Saha BP (2007); Curcuminphospholipid complex: Preparation, therapeutic evaluation and pharmacokinetic study in rats; Int JPharm; 330; 155-63
17. Mascarella S (1993); Therapeutic and anti-lipoperoxidant effects of silybin-phosphatidylcholine complex in chronic liver disease; Curr Ther Res; 53; 98-102
18. Mateus, Aloisio & Sanha, Fiuza & Sharma, Kumar & Kumar, Dr. (2018); Phytosome as a Prominent Option in Drug Delivery for the Treatment of the Diseases: A Review; Indo Global Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences; 8; 119-123.
19. Mazumder Anisha, Dwivedi Anupma, Jan L. du Preez, Plessis Jeanetta du(2016); In vitro wound healing and cytotoxic effects of sinigrin–phytosome complex; International Journal of Pharmaceutics; 498; 283–293
20. Mukherjee K, M. K. (2008); Phytosome of Hesperetin, A Value Added Formulation with Phytomolecules; 60th Indian Pharmaceutical Congress; New Delhi, 287.
21. Naik S. R. and Panda V. S (2008); Hepatoprotective effect of Ginkgoselect Phytosome® in rifampicin induced liver injurym in rats: Evidence of antioxidant activity; Fitoterapia; 79; 439–445.
22. Nilesh Jain, B. P. (2010); Phytosome: A Novel Drug Delivery System for Herbal Medicine; International Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences and Drug Research; 2(4); 224-228.
23. Pandey Shivanand, P. K. (2010); Phytosomes: Technical Revolution in Phytomedicine; International Journal of Pharm Tech Research; 2(1); 627-631
24. Pawar HA, Bhangale BD (2015); Phytosome as a Novel Biomedicine: A Microencapsulated Drug Delivery System; J Bioanal Biomed; 7; 006-012
25. Rajendra Awasthi, G.T. (2011); Phytosomes: An approach to increase the bioavialbility of Plant Extarcts; International Journal of Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Sciences; 1-3.
26. Ravi G S (2015); Phytosomes: An advanced herbal drug delivery system; International Journal of Pharmaceutical Research and Bio-Science; 4; 415 - 432
27. Saha, Sanjay & Sarma, Anupam & Saikia, Pranjal & Chakraborty, Tapash (2013); Phytosome: A Brief Overview; 2; 12-20
28. Saini, Vandana & Rani, Babita & Nagpal, Manju & Arora, Sandeep (2013); Phytosomes: Potential Carriers For Herbal Drugs; 3
29. Sikarwar MS, Sharma S, Jain AK, Parial SD(2008);Preparation, characterization and evaluation of marsupsin-phospholipid complex; AAPS PharmSciTech;9(1);129-37.
30. Soni K, K. R. (1992); Effect of oral curcumin administration on serum peroxides and cholesterol levels in human volunteers; J Physiol Pharmacol; 36; 273-275.
31. WHO. (2004); WHO Guidelines on Safety Monitoring of Herbal Medicines in Pharmacovigilance Systems. Geneva, Switzerland
32. Yanyu X, Yunmei S, Zhipeng C, Qineng P (2006); The preparation of silybin-phospholipid complex and the study on its pharmacokinetics in rats; Int J Pharm; 307; 77-82.
33. Zahid Husain, Kahkashan Jabin and Dr. S. P. Singh (2018); Phytosomes increasing bioavaibalitity of bioconstituents; World Journal of Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Sciences; 7(9); 628-638