SKIN AGING & MODERN AGE ANTI-AGING STRATEGIES
As the most voluminous organ of the body that is exposed to the outer environment, the skin suffers from both intrinsic and extrinsic aging factors. Skin aging is characterized by features such as wrinkling, loss of elasticity, laxity, and rough-textured appearance. This aging process is accompanied with phenotypic changes in cutaneous cells as well as structural and functional changes in extracellular matrix components such as collagens and elastin. With intrinsic aging, structural changes occur in the skin as a natural consequence of the biological changes over time and produce a certain number of histological, physiological, and biochemical modifications. Intrinsic aging is determined genetically (influence of gender and ethnic group), variable in function of skin site, and also influenced by hormonal changes. Visually it is characterized by fine wrinkles. By comparison, “photoaging” is the term used to describe the changes occurring in the skin, resulting from repetitive exposure to sunlight. The histological, physiological, and biochemical changes in the different layers of the skin are much more drastic. From a mechanical point of view, human skin appears as a layered composite containing the stiff thin cover layer presented by the stratum corneum, below which are the more compliant layers of viable epidermis and dermis and further below the much more compliant adjacent layer of subcutaneous white adipose tissue. Upon exposure to a strain, such a multi-layer system demonstrates structural instabilities in its stiffer layers, which in its simplest form is the wrinkling. These instabilities appear hierarchically when the mechanical strain in the skin exceeds some critical values. Their appearance is mainly dependent on the mismatch in mechanical properties between adjacent skin layers or between the skin and subcutaneous white adipose tissue, on the adhesive strength and thickness ratios between the layers, on their bending and tensile stiffness as well as on the value of the stress existing in single layers. Gradual reduction of elastic fibers in aging significantly reduces the skin’s ability to bend, prompting an up to 4-fold reduction of its stability against wrinkling, thereby explaining the role of these fibers in skin aging. Anti-aging medicine is practiced by physicians, scientists, and researchers dedicated to the belief that the process of physical aging in humans can be slowed, stopped, or even reversed through existing medical and scientific interventions. This specialty of medicine is based on the very early detection and prevention of age-related diseases. Physicians practicing anti-aging medicine seek to enhance the quality of life as well as its length, limiting the period of illness and disability toward the end of one’s life. Anti-aging medicine encompasses lifestyle changes (diet and exercise); hormone replacement therapies, as needed, determined by a physician through blood testing (DHEA, melatonin, thyroid, human growth hormone, estrogen, testosterone); antioxidants and vitamin supplements; and testing protocols that can measure not only hormone levels and blood chemistry but every metabolic factor right down to the cellular level.
2. Abdi F, Darooneh T, Ghorbani M, Banihashemi F, Roozbeh N. (2017); Transdermal hormone replacement therapy with nanostructured medicines; Ginekol Pol; 88(2); 103-108
3. Ashkani Esfahani S, Khoshneviszadeh M, Namazi MR, Noorafshan A, Geramizadeh B, Nadimi E, Razavipour ST. (2015); Topical Nicotinamide Improves Tissue Regeneration in Excisional Full-Thickness Skin Wounds: A Stereological and Pathological Study; Trauma Mon; 20(4); e18193
4. Addor FAS. (2018); Beyond photoaging: additional factors involved in the process of skin aging; Clin Cosmet Investig Dermatol; 11:437-443
5. Addor FAS. (2019); Topical effects of SCA(®) (Cryptomphalus aspersa secretion) associated with regenerative and antioxidant ingredients on aged skin: evaluation by confocal and clinical microscopy; Clin Cosmet Investig Dermatol; 12:133-140.
6. Addor FAS, Cotta Vieira J, Abreu Melo CS. (2018); Improvement of dermal parameters in aged skin after oral use of a nutrient supplement; Clin Cosmet Investig Dermatol; 11:195-201.
7. Arlt W. (2004); Dehydroepiandrosterone and ageing; Best Pract Res Clin Endocrinol Metab; 18(3); 363-80
8. Algiert-Zielińska B, Mucha P, Rotsztejn H. (2019); Lactic and lactobionic acids as typically moisturizing compounds; Int J Dermatol; 58(3); 374-379
9. Alexis AF, Obioha JO. (2017); Ethnicity and Aging Skin; J Drugs Dermatol; 1;16(6):s77-s80
10. Alexis AF, Alam M. (2012); Racial and ethnic differences in skin aging: implications for treatment with soft tissue fillers; J Drugs Dermatol; 11(8); s30-2
11. Anson G, Kane MA, Lambros V. (2016); Sleep Wrinkles: Facial Aging and Facial Distortion During Sleep; Aesthet Surg J; 36(8):931-40
12. Asakura K, Nishiwaki Y, Milojevic A, Michikawa T, Kikuchi Y, Nakano M, Iwasawa S, Hillebrand G, Miyamoto K, Ono M, Kinjo Y, Akiba S, Takebayashi T. (2009); Lifestyle factors and visible skin aging in a population of Japanese elders; J Epidemiol; 19(5):251-9.
13. Barcelos IP, Haas RH. (2019); CoQ10 and Aging. Biology (Basel); ;8(2). pii: E28.
14. Bashir KMI, Choi JS; Clinical and Physiological Perspectives of β-Glucans: The Past, Present, and Future; Int J Mol Sci ;18(9). pii: E1906
15. Bacha U, Nasir M, Iqbal S, Anjum AA. (2017); Nutraceutical, Anti-Inflammatory, and Immune Modulatory Effects of β-Glucan Isolated from Yeast; Biomed Res Int.; 2017; 8972678.
16. Bartke A. (2019); Growth Hormone and Aging: Updated Review; World J Mens Health; 37(1);19-30
17. Bagatin E, Gonçalves HS, Sato M, Almeida LMC, Miot HA. (2018); Comparable efficacy of adapalene 0.3% gel and tretinoin 0.05% cream as treatment for cutaneous photoaging. Eur J Dermatol; 28(3); 343-350
18. Bohnert K, Dorizas A, Lorenc P, Sadick NS. (2019); Randomized, Controlled, Multicentered, Double-Blind Investigation of Injectable Poly-L-Lactic Acid for Improving Skin Quality; Dermatol Surg; 45(5); 718-724
19. Bissett DL Chapter 11. (2005); Anti-aging Skin Care Formulations. In: Zoe Diana Draelos, Lauren A. Thaman. Cosmetic Formulation of Skin Care Products Cosmetic Science and Technology; Taylor & Francis
20. Bragazzi NL, Sellami M, Salem I, Conic R, Kimak M, Pigatto PDM, Damiani G. (2019); Fasting and Its Impact on Skin Anatomy, Physiology, and Physiopathology: A Comprehensive Review of the Literature; Nutrients; 11(2); pii: E249
21. Bhatt N, Agrawal S, Mehta K. (2019); Risk factors and self-perception for facial aging among Nepalese population; J Cosmet Dermatol
22. Burke KE, Wei H. (2009); Synergistic damage by UVA radiation and pollutants; Toxicol Ind Health; 25(4-5); 219-24
23. Blog sovereignlaboratories.com. Anti-Aging Skin Care Benefits of Colostrum. Available From: https://www.sovereignlaboratories.com/blog/anti-aging-skin-care-benefits...
24. Burns EM, Tober KL, Riggenbach JA, Kusewitt DF, Young GS, Oberyszyn TM. (2013); Differential effects of topical vitamin E and C E Ferulic® treatments on ultraviolet light B-induced cutaneous tumor development in Skh-1 mice; PLoS One ;8(5); e63809.
25. Bayerl C. (2016); Skin aging and evidence-based topical strategies; Hautarzt; 67(2);140-7.
26. Barone F, Bashey S, Woodin Jr. FW. (2019); Clinical Evidence of Dermal and Epidermal Restructuring from a Biologically Active Growth Factor Serum for Skin Rejuvenation. J Drugs Dermatol; 18(3);290-295.
27. Botelho MA, Queiroz DB, Barros G, Guerreiro S, Fechine P, Umbelino S, Lyra A, Borges B, Freitas A, Queiroz DC, Ruela R, Almeida JG, Quintans L Jr. (2014); Nanostructured transdermal hormone replacement therapy for relieving menopausal symptoms: a confocal Raman spectroscopy study; Clinics (Sao Paulo); 69(2); 75-82
28. Bukhari SNA, Roswandi NL, Waqas M, Habib H, Hussain F, Khan S, Sohail M, Ramli NA, Thu HE, Hussain Z. (2018); Hyaluronic acid, a promising skin rejuvenating biomedicine: A review of recent updates and pre-clinical and clinical investigations on cosmetic and nutricosmetic effects. Int J Biol Macromol; 120(Pt B); 1682-1695.
29. Borda LJ, Wong LL Tosti A; (2019); Bioidentical hormone therapy in menopause: relevance in dermatology; Dermatol Online J ;25(1). pii: 13030/qt4c20m28z.
30. Cai Z, Zhang J, Li H(2018); Selenium, aging and aging-related diseases; Aging Clin Exp Res
31. Camera E, Mastrofrancesco A, Fabbri C, Daubrawa F, Picardo M, Sies H, Stahl W. (2009); Astaxanthin, canthaxanthin and beta-carotene differently affect UVA-induced oxidative damage and expression of oxidative stress-responsive enzymes; Exp Dermatol; 18(3):222-31.
32. Calvo E, Luu-The V, Morissette J, Martel C, Labrie C, Bernard B, Bernerd F, Deloche C, Chaussade V, Leclaire J, Labrie F. (2008); Pangenomic changes induced by DHEA in the skin of postmenopausal women; J Steroid Biochem Mol Biol; 112(4-5):186-93.
33. Cabrera ÁJ. (2015); Zinc, aging, and immunosenescence: an overview; Pathobiol Aging Age Relat Dis; 5:25592.
34. Carroll PV, Christ ER, Bengtsson BA, Carlsson L, Christiansen JS, Clemmons D, Hintz R, Ho K, Laron Z, Sizonenko P, Sönksen PH, Tanaka T, Thorne M. (1998); Growth hormone deficiency in adulthood and the effects of growth hormone replacement: a review. Growth Hormone Research Society Scientific Committee; J Clin Endocrinol Metab; 83(2):382-95.
35. Chan IL, Cohen S, da Cunha MG, Maluf LC. (2019); Characteristics and management of Asian skin. Int J Dermatol; 58(2):131-143
36. Chou HY, Lee C, Pan JL, Wen ZH, Huang SH, Lan CW, Liu WT, Hour TC, Hseu YC, Hwang BH, Cheng KC, Wang HM. (2016); Enriched Astaxanthin Extract from Haematococcus pluvialis Augments Growth Factor Secretions to Increase Cell Proliferation and Induces MMP1 Degradation to Enhance Collagen Production in Human Dermal Fibroblasts; Int J Mol Sci; 17(6); pii: E955.
37. Chew BP, Mathison BD, Hayek MG, Massimino S, Reinhart GA, Park JS. (2011); Dietary astaxanthin enhances immune response in dogs; Vet Immunol Immunopathol; 140(3-4);199-206.
38. Cosgrove MC, Franco OH, Granger SP, Murray PG, Mayes AE. (2007); Dietary nutrient intakes and skin-aging appearance among middle-aged American women; Am J Clin Nutr ;86(4):1225-31. Erratum in: Am J Clin Nutr. 2008 Aug;88(2):480
39. Cho S. (2014); The Role of Functional Foods in Cutaneous Anti-aging; J Lifestyle Med ;4(1); 8-16.
40. Cho S, Shin MH, Kim YK, Seo JE, Lee YM, Park CH, Chung JH. (2009); Effects of infrared radiation and heat on human skin aging in vivo; J Investig Dermatol Symp Proc; 14(1):15-9
41. Choi BS, Song HS, Kim HR, Park TW, Kim TD, Cho BJ, Kim CJ, Sim SS. (2009); Effect of coenzyme Q10 on cutaneous healing in skin-incised mice; Arch Pharm Res ;32(6):907-13.
42. Choi FD, Sung CT, Juhasz ML, Mesinkovsk NA. (2009); Oral Collagen Supplementation: A Systematic Review of Dermatological Applications; J Drugs Dermatol;18(1):9-16
43. Clarys P, Barel AO. Chapter 27. New Trends in Antiaging Cosmetic Ingredients and Treatments: An Overview. In: André O. Barel, Marc Paye, Howard I. Maibach. Handbook of Cosmetic Science and Technology, 3rd Edition, published by CRC Press, 2014. ISBN 9781842145647
44. Clatici VG, Racoceanu D, Dalle C, Voicu C, Tomas-Aragones L, Marron SE, Wollina U, (2017); Fica S. Perceived Age and Life Style. The Specific Contributions of Seven Factors Involved in Health and Beauty; Maedica (Buchar); 12(3):191-201
45. Campiche R, Trevisan S, Séroul P, Rawlings AV, Adnet C, Imfeld D, Voegeli R. (2019); Appearance of aging signs in differently pigmented facial skin by a novel imaging system; J Cosmet Dermatol; 18(2); 614-627
46. Chaudhuri RK, Bojanowski K. (2014); Bakuchiol: a retinol-like functional compound revealed by gene expression profiling and clinically proven to have anti-aging effects. Int J Cosmet Sci; 36(3); 221-30
47. Crisan D, Roman I, Crisan M, Scharffetter-Kochanek K, Badea R. (2015); The role of vitamin C in pushing back the boundaries of skin aging: an ultrasonographic approach ; Clin Cosmet Investig Dermatol; 8:463-70.
48. Czajka A, Kania EM, Genovese L, Corbo A, Merone G, Luci C, Sibilla S. (2018); Daily oral supplementation with collagen peptides combined with vitamins and other bioactive compounds improves skin elasticity and has a beneficial effect on joint and general wellbeing; Nutr Res; 57:97-108.
49. Dhaliwal S, Rybak I, Ellis SR, Notay M, Trivedi M, Burney W, Vaughn AR, Nguyen M, Reiter P, Bosanac S, Yan H, Foolad N, Sivamani RK. (2019); Prospective, randomized, double-blind assessment of topical bakuchiol and retinol for facial photoageing; Br J Dermatol; 180(2):289-296
50. Davalli P, Mitic T, Caporali A, Lauriola A, D'Arca D. ROS, (2016); Cell Senescence, and Novel Molecular Mechanisms in Aging and Age-Related Diseases; Oxid Med Cell Longev; 2016:3565127
51. de Oliveira TC, Rocha SF, Ramos DG, Ramos CG, Carvalho MV, Ramos MG. (2017); Effects of Multipolar Radiofrequency and Pulsed Electromagnetic Field Treatment for Face and Neck Rejuvenation; Dermatol Res Pract; ;2017:4146391.
52. de Jager MW, Gooris GS, Dolbnya IP, Bras W, Ponec M, Bouwstra JA. (2004); Novel lipid mixtures based on synthetic ceramides reproduce the unique stratum corneum lipid organization; J Lipid Res; 45(5); 923-32
53. Di Marzio L, Cinque B, Cupelli F, De Simone C, Cifone MG, Giuliani M. (2008); Increase of skin-ceramide levels in aged subjects following a short-term topical application of bacterial sphingomyelinase from Streptococcus thermophilus; Int J Immunopathol Pharmacol; 21(1):137-43;
54. Ding A, Yang Y, Zhao Z, Hüls A, Vierkötter A, Yuan Z, Cai J, Zhang J, Gao W, Li J, Zhang M, Matsui M, Krutmann J, Kan H, Schikowski T, Jin L, Wang S. (2017); Indoor PM(2.5) exposure affects skin aging manifestation in a Chinese population; Sci Rep; 7(1):15329.
55. Dunn JH, Koo J. (2013); Psychological Stress and skin aging: a review of possible mechanisms and potential therapies; Dermatol Online J; 19(6):18561
56. Draelos ZD, Raymond I. (2018); The Efficacy of a Ceramide-based Cream in Mild-to-moderate Atopic Dermatitis; J Clin Aesthet Dermatol; 11(5);30-32
57. Dyer JM, Miller RA. (2018); Chronic Skin Fragility of Aging: Current Concepts in the Pathogenesis, Recognition, and Management of Dermatoporosis; J Clin Aesthet Dermatol; 11(1):13-18.
58. Davinelli S, Nielsen ME, Scapagnini G. (2018); Astaxanthin in Skin Health, Repair, and Disease: A Comprehensive Review; Nutrients; ;10(4); pii: E522.
59. Eren B, Tuncay Tanrıverdi S, Aydın Köse F, Özer Ö. (2019); Antioxidant properties evaluation of topical astaxanthin formulations as anti-aging products; J Cosmet Dermatol ;18(1):242-250.
61. El-Komy M, Shalaby S, Hegazy R, Abdel Hay R, Sherif S, Bendas E. (2017); Assessment of cubosomal alpha lipoic acid gel efficacy for the aging face: a single-blinded, placebo-controlled, right-left comparative clinical study; J Cosmet Dermatol; 16(3) ; 358-363.
62. El-Leithy ES, Makky AM, Khattab AM, Hussein DG. (2018); Optimization of nutraceutical coenzyme Q10 nanoemulsion with improved skin permeability and anti-wrinkle efficiency; Drug Dev Ind Pharm; 44(2); 316-328
63. Fang Q, Guo S, Zhou H, Han R, Wu P, Han C. (2017); Astaxanthin protects against early burn-wound progression in rats by attenuating oxidative stress-induced inflammation and mitochondria-related apoptosis; Sci Rep; 7:41440
64. Fabbrocini G, Bertona M, Picazo Ó, Pareja-Galeano H, Monfrecola G, Emanuele E. (2016); Supplementation with Lactobacillus rhamnosus SP1 normalises skin expression of genes implicated in insulin signalling and improves adult acne; Benef Microbes ;7(5); 625-630
65. Favrot C, Beal D, Blouin E, Leccia MT, Roussel AM, Rachidi W. (2018); Age-Dependent Protective Effect of Selenium against UVA Irradiation in Primary Human Keratinocytes and the Associated DNA Repair Signature; Oxid Med Cell Longev; 2018:5895439
66. Farris P, Yatskayer M, Chen N, Krol Y, Oresajo C. (2014); Evaluation of efficacy and tolerance of a nighttime topical antioxidant containing resveratrol, baicalin, and vitamin e for treatment of mild to moderately photodamaged skin; J Drugs Dermatol; 13(12):1467-72
67. Fernández JR, Webb C, Rouzard K, Voronkov M, Huber KL, Stock JB, Healy J, Tamura M, Stock M, Armbrister W, Gordon JS, Pérez E. (2018); SIG-1273 protects skin against urban air pollution and when formulated in AgeIQ™ Night Cream anti-aging benefits clinically demonstrated; J Cosmet Dermatol
68. Fu JJ, Hillebrand GG, Raleigh P, Li J, Marmor MJ, Bertucci V, Grimes PE, Mandy SH, Perez MI, Weinkle SH, Kaczvinsky JR. (2010); A randomized, controlled comparative study of the wrinkle reduction benefits of a cosmetic niacinamide/peptide/retinyl propionate product regimen vs. a prescription 0.02% tretinoin product regimen; Br J Dermatol; 162(3); 647-54
69. Ganceviciene R, Liakou AI, Theodoridis A, Makrantonaki E, Zouboulis CC. (2012); Skin anti-aging strategies; Dermatoendocrinol; 4(3):308-19
70. Gehring W. (2004); Nicotinic acid/niacinamide and the skin; J Cosmet Dermatol; 3(2); 88-93
71. Gęgotek A, Ambrożewicz E, Jastrząb A, Jarocka-Karpowicz I, Skrzydlewska E. (2019); Rutin and ascorbic acid cooperation in antioxidant and antiapoptotic effect on human skin keratinocytes and fibroblasts exposed to UVA and UVB radiation; Arch Dermatol Res; 311(3):203-219
72. Gfatter R, Hackl P, Braun F. (1997); Effects of soap and detergents on skin surface pH, stratum corneum hydration and fat content in infants; Dermatology; 195(3):258-62.
73. Goenka S. (2017); Monica Belluci’s Makeup, Beauty And Fitness Secrets Revealed; STYLECRAZE
74. Gabros S, Zito PM. (2019); Sunscreens And Photoprotection. [Updated 2019 Jan 13]. In: StatPearls [Internet]. Treasure Island (FL): StatPearls
75. Gold MH. (2015); Noninvasive Skin Tightening Treatment; J Clin Aesthet Dermatol; 8(6);14-8.
76. Giacomelli L, Togni S, Meneghin M, Eggenhöffner R, Maramaldi G. (2018); In vivo validation of the multicomponent powder (Vitachelox(®)) against the deposition of polluting ions; Clin Cosmet Investig Dermatol; 11:109-113.
77. Graf J. Chapter 2. Anti-Aging Skin Care Ingredient. In: Technologies Anti-Aging Medicine As It Relates to Dermatology. In: Cheryl M. Burgess. Cosmetic Dermatology, published by Springer Science & Business Media, 2005 ISBN 3540230645, 9783540230649
78. Garre A, Narda M, Valderas-Martinez P, Piquero J, Granger C. (2018); Antiaging effects of a novel facial serum containing L-Ascorbic acid, proteoglycans, and proteoglycan-stimulating tripeptide: ex vivo skin explant studies and in vivo clinical studies in women; Clin Cosmet Investig Dermatol; 11:253-263.
79. Gupta M, Mahajan VK, Mehta KS, Chauhan PS. (2014); Zinc therapy in dermatology: a review; Dermatol Res Pract; 2014:709152.
80. Huizen J. Which skin conditions are linked to type 2 diabetes? MedicalNewsToday, 16 April 2019.
81. Hong YH, Lee HS, Jung EY, Han SH, Park Y, Suh HJ. (2017); Photoprotective effects of topical ginseng leaf extract using Ultraflo L against UVB-induced skin damage in hairless mice; J Ginseng Res; 41(4):456-462.
82. Hornsby PJ. (2007); Telomerase and the aging process; Exp Gerontol; 42(7); 575-81
83. Isawa K, Noma T, Yamamoto M et al. (2008); Verifying the ability of yogurt prepared with LB81 lactic acid bacteria to improve skin function; J Int Microbiol; 22; 1–5.
84. Isaac VL, Chiari-Andréo BG, Marto JM, Moraes JD, Leone BA, Corrêa MA, Ribeiro HM. (2015); Rheology as a Tool to Predict the Release of Alpha-Lipoic Acid from Emulsions Used for the Prevention of Skin Aging; Biomed Res Int; 2015; 818656.
85. Ibuki A, Kuriyama S, Toyosaki Y, Aiba M, Hidaka M, Horie Y, Fujimoto C, Isami F, Shibata E, Terauchi Y, Akase T. (2018); Aging-like physiological changes in the skin of Japanese obese diabetic patients. SAGE Open Med; 6:2050312118756662.
86. Ito N, Seki S, Ueda F. (2018); Effects of Composite Supplement Containing Collagen Peptide and Ornithine on Skin Conditions and Plasma IGF-1 Levels-A Randomized, Double-Blind, Placebo-Controlled Trial; Mar Drugs; 16(12); pii: E482
87. Jabbar A, Arruda S, Sadick N. (2017); Off Face Usage of Poly-L-Lactic Acid for Body Rejuvenation. J Drugs Dermatol; 16(5); 489-494
88. Jobeili L, Rousselle P, Béal D, Blouin E, Roussel AM, Damour O, Rachidi W. (2017); Selenium preserves keratinocyte stemness and delays senescence by maintaining epidermal adhesion. Aging (Albany NY); 9(11); 2302-2315.
89. Jospe N, Orlowski CC, Furlanetto RW. (1995); Comparison of transdermal and oral estrogen therapy in girls with Turner's syndrome; J Pediatr Endocrinol Metab; 8(2); 111-6.
90. Jensen JM, Förl M, Winoto-Morbach S, Seite S, Schunck M, Proksch E, Schütze S. (2005); Acid and neutral sphingomyelinase, ceramide synthase, and acid ceramidase activities in cutaneous aging; Exp Dermatol; 14(8); 609-18
91. Jenifer Sassarini, Mary Ann Lumsden, (2015); Oestrogen replacement in postmenopausal women; Age and Ageing; 44(4); 551–558
92. Jeon YJ, Kim YH, Jeon YJ, Lee WW, Bae IG, Yi KW, Hong SH. (2019); Increased synthesis of hyaluronic acid by enhanced penetration of CTP-EGF recombinant in human keratinocytes; J Cosmet Dermatol; [Epub ahead of print]
93. Jesenak M, Urbancek S, Majtan J, Banovcin P, Hercogova J. (2016); β-Glucan-based cream (containing pleuran isolated from pleurotus ostreatus) in supportive treatment of mild-to-moderate atopic dermatitis; J Dermatolog Treat; 27(4); 351-4.
94. Kopper NW, Gudeman J, Thompson DJ. (2009); Transdermal hormone therapy in postmenopausal women: a review of metabolic effects and drug delivery technologies Drug Des Devel Ther; 2:193-202.
95. Kim SH, Kim H. (2018); Inhibitory Effect of Astaxanthin on Oxidative Stress-Induced Mitochondrial Dysfunction-A Mini-Review; Nutrients; 10(9); pii: E1137.
96. Kim BY, Choi JW, Park KC, Youn SW. (2013); Sebum, acne, skin elasticity, and gender difference - which is the major influencing factor for facial pores?; Skin Res Technol; 19(1):e45-53.
97. Kong R, Cui Y, Fisher GJ, Wang X, Chen Y, Schneider LM, Majmudar G. (2016); A comparative study of the effects of retinol and retinoic acid on histological, molecular, and clinical properties of human skin; J Cosmet Dermatol; 15(1); 49-57
98. Kim MS, Lee S, Rho HS, Kim DH, Chang IS, Chung JH. (2005); The effects of a novel synthetic retinoid, seletinoid G, on the expression of extracellular matrix proteins in aged human skin in vivo; Clin Chim Acta; 362(1-2):161-9
99. Kimoto-Nira H. (2018); New lactic acid bacteria for skin health via oral intake of heat-killed or live cells; Anim Sci J; 89(6):835-842.
100. Kong JG, Park JB, Lee D, Park EY. (2015); Effect of high glucose on stress-induced senescence of nucleus pulposus cells of adult rats; Asian Spine J; 9(2);155-61.
101. Kruglikov IL, Scherer PE. (2016); Skin aging: are adipocytes the next target? ; Aging (Albany NY); 8(7):1457-69
102. Katta R, Desai SP. (2014); Diet and dermatology: the role of dietary intervention in skin disease; J Clin Aesthet Dermatol; 7(7):46-51
103. Kubota Y, Musashi M, Nagasawa T, Shimura N, Igarashi R, Yamaguchi Y. (2019); Novel nanocapsule of α-lipoic acid reveals pigmentation improvement: α-Lipoic acid stimulates the proliferation and differentiation of keratinocyte in murine skin by topical application; Exp Dermatol; 28 (Suppl 1):55-63
104. Karapetsas A, Voulgaridou GP, Konialis M, Tsochantaridis I, Kynigopoulos S, Lambropoulou M, Stavropoulou MI, Stathopoulou K, Aligiannis N, Bozidis P, Goussia A, Gardikis K, Panayiotidis MI, Pappa A. (2019); Propolis Extracts Inhibit UV-Induced Photodamage in Human Experimental In Vitro Skin Models; Antioxidants (Basel); ;8(5). pii: E125.
105. Kulthanan K, Maneeprasopchoke P, Varothai S, Nuchkull P. (2014); The pH of antiseptic cleansers; Asia Pac Allergy; 4(1):32-6
106. Krutmann J, Bouloc A, Sore G, Bernard BA, Passeron T. (2017); The skin aging exposome. J Dermatol Sci;85(3):152-161
107. Keen MA, Hassan I. (2016); Vitamin E in dermatology; Indian Dermatol Online J; ;7(4):311-5.
108. Kettelhut EA, Traylor J, Roach JP; Erythema Ab Igne. [Updated 2019 Feb 10]. Available from: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK538250/
109. Kyrou I, Randeva HS, Tsigos C, et al. Clinical Problems Caused by Obesity. [Updated 2018 Jan 11].
110. Kanda N, Watanabe S. (2005); Regulatory roles of sex hormones in cutaneous biology and immunology;J Dermatol Sci; 38(1):1-7
111. Kim M, Park HJ. (2016); Molecular Mechanisms of Skin Aging and Rejuvenation; IntechOpen
112. Kantikosum K, Chongpison Y, Chottawornsak N, Asawanonda P. (2019); The efficacy of glycolic acid, salicylic acid, gluconolactone, and licochalcone A combined with 0.1% adapalene vs adapalene monotherapy in mild-to-moderate acne vulgaris: a double-blinded within-person comparative study; Clin Cosmet Investig Dermatol; 12:151-161
113. Kawada A, Konishi N, Momma T, Oiso N, Kawara S. (2009); Evaluation of anti-wrinkle effects of a novel cosmetic containing retinol using the guideline of the Japan Cosmetic Industry Association; J Dermatol; 36(11); 583-6
114. Khodaeiani E, Fouladi RF, Amirnia M, Saeidi M, Karimi ER. (2013); Topical 4% nicotinamide vs. 1% clindamycin in moderate inflammatory acne vulgaris; Int J Dermatol ;52(8):999-1004
115. Kwon HS, Lee JH, Kim GM, Bae JM. (2018); Efficacy and safety of retinaldehyde 0.1% and 0.05% creams used to treat photoaged skin: A randomized double-blind controlled trial; J Cosmet Dermatol; 17(3):471-476
116. Kapicioğlu Y, Gül M, Saraç G, Yiğitcan B, Gözükara H. (2019); Comparison of Antiaging Effects on Rat Skin of Cog Thread and Poly-L-Lactic Acid Thread; Dermatol Surg; 45(3); 438-445.
117. Knott A, Achterberg V, Smuda C, Mielke H, Sperling G, Dunckelmann K, Vogelsang A, Krüger A, Schwengler H, Behtash M, Kristof S, Diekmann H, Eisenberg T, Berroth A, Hildebrand J, Siegner R, Winnefeld M, Teuber F, Fey S, Möbius J, Retzer D, Burkhardt T, Lüttke J, Blatt T. (2015); Topical treatment with coenzyme Q10-containing formulas improves skin's Q10 level and provides antioxidative effects; Biofactors; 41(6); 383-90
118. Kim GD, Kim TH, Jang AH, Ahn HJ, Park YS, Park CS. (2011); α-Lipoic acid suppresses the development of DNFB-induced atopic dermatitis-like symptoms in NC/Nga mice. Exp Dermatol; 20(2);97-101
119. Kim CM, Kim BY, Hye Suh D, Lee SJ, Moon HR, Ryu HJ. (2019); The efficacy of powdered polydioxanone in terms of collagen production compared with poly-L-lactic acid in a murine model; J Cosmet Dermatol
120. Kim DU, Chung HC, Choi J, Sakai Y, Lee BY. (2018); Oral Intake of Low-Molecular-Weight Collagen Peptide Improves Hydration, Elasticity, and Wrinkling in Human Skin: A Randomized, Double-Blind, Placebo-Controlled Study; Nutrients;10(7); pii: E826.
121. Lephart ED. (2018); A review of the role of estrogen in dermal aging and facial attractiveness in women; J Cosmet Dermatol; 17(3); 282-288
122. Leccia MT, Lebbe C, Claudel JP, Narda M, Basset-Seguin N. (2019); New Vision in Photoprotection and Photorepair; Dermatol Ther (Heidelb); 9(1);103-115.
123. Liu PZ, Nusslock R. (2018); How Stress Gets Under the Skin: Early Life Adversity and Glucocorticoid Receptor Epigenetic Regulation; Curr Genomics; 19(8);653-664.
124. Lin JY, Lin FH, Burch JA, Selim MA, (2004); Monteiro-Riviere NA, Grichnik JM, Pinnell SR. Alpha-lipoic acid is ineffective as a topical antioxidant for photoprotection of skin. J Invest Dermatol; 123(5);996-8
125. Lee KS, Oh KY, Kim BC. (2000); Effects of dehydroepiandrosterone on collagen and collagenase gene expression by skin fibroblasts in culture; J Dermatol Sci; 23(2):103-10
126. Lee YB, Eun YS, Lee JH, Cheon MS, Cho BK, Park HJ. Effects of multi-polar radiofrequency and pulsed electromagnetic field treatment in Koreans: case series and survey study; J Dermatolog Treat; 25(4);310-3
127. Lew LC, Liong MT. (2013); Bioactives from probiotics for dermal health: functions and benefits. J Appl Microbiol; 114(5); 1241-53
128. Lee YJ, Kim HT, Lee WJ, Chang SE, Lee MW, Choi JH, Won CH. (2019); Anti-aging and hydration efficacy of a cross-linked hyaluronic acid microstructure patch; Dermatol Ther; e12888
129. Lee HJ, Jang HL, Ahn DK, Kim HJ, Jeon HY, Seo DB, Lee JH, Choi JK, Kang SS. Orally administered collagen peptide protects against UVB-induced skin aging through the absorption of dipeptide forms, Gly-Pro and Pro-Hyp; Biosci Biotechnol Biochem; 83(6); 1146-1156.
130. Levin J, Momin SB. (2010); How much do we really know about our favorite cosmeceutical ingredients?; J Clin Aesthet Dermatol ;3(2); 22-41
131. Lyons TJ, Bailie KE, Dyer DG, Dunn JA, Baynes JW. (1991); Decrease in skin collagen glycation with improved glycemic control in patients with insulin-dependent diabetes mellitus. J Clin Invest; 87(6);1910-5
132. Mukherjee S, Date A, Patravale V, Korting HC, Roeder A, Weindl G. (2006); Retinoids in the treatment of skin aging: an overview of clinical efficacy and safety. Clin Interv Aging; 1(4); 327-48.
133. Moghimipour E. Hydroxy Acids, (2012); the Most Widely Used Anti-aging Agents. Jundishapur; J Nat Pharm Prod; Winter;7(1); 9-10
134. Maia Campos PMBG, Melo MO, Siqueira César FC. (2019); Topical application and oral supplementation of peptides in the improvement of skin viscoelasticity and density; J Cosmet Dermatol; [Epub ahead of print]
135. Moore LV, Thompson FE, Demissie Z. (2017); Percentage of Youth Meeting Federal Fruit and Vegetable Intake Recommendations, Youth Risk Behavior Surveillance System, United States and 33 States, 2013; J Acad Nutr Diet; 117(4); 545-553.e3.
136. Maarouf M, Maarouf CL, Yosipovitch G, Shi VY. (2019) ; The impact of stress on epidermal barrier function: an evidence-based review; Br J Dermatol
137. Mukhopadhyay P. (2011); Cleansers and their role in various dermatological disorders. Indian J Dermatol; 56(1); 2-6.
138. Meephansan J, Rungjang A, Yingmema W, Deenonpoe R, Ponnikorn S. (2017); Effect of astaxanthin on cutaneous wound healing; Clin Cosmet Investig Dermatol; 10; 259-265
139. Majtan J, Jesenak M. (2018); β-Glucans: Multi-Functional Modulator of Wound Healing. Molecules; 23(4); pii: E806
140. Mekić S, Jacobs LC, Hamer MA, Ikram MA, Schoufour JD, Gunn DA, Kiefte-de Jong JC, Nijsten T. (2019); A healthy diet in women is associated with less facial wrinkles in a large Dutch population-based cohort; J Am Acad Dermatol; 80(5); 1358-1363.e2
141. Mutanu Jungersted J, Hellgren LI, Høgh JK, Drachmann T, Jemec GB, Agner T. (2010); Ceramides and barrier function in healthy skin; Acta Derm Venereol; 90(4); 350-3.
142. Mohiuddin AK, (2019); Sunscreen and Suntan Preparations; ARC Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences (AJPS), 5(2); 8-44
143. Monica Bellucci Beauty Secrets. Available From: https://monicabellucci.net/monica-bellucci-beauty-secrets/
144. Mori N, Kano M, Masuoka N, Konno T, Suzuki Y, Miyazaki K, Ueki Y. (2016); Effect of probiotic and prebiotic fermented milk on skin and intestinal conditions in healthy young female students. Biosci Microbiota Food Health; 35(3); 105-12
145. Mistry N. (2017); Guidelines for Formulating Anti-Pollution Products; Cosmetics; 4(4);57
146. Navarrete-Solís J, Castanedo-Cázares JP, Torres-Álvarez B, Oros-Ovalle C, Fuentes-Ahumada C, González FJ, Martínez-Ramírez JD, Moncada B. (2011); A Double-Blind, Randomized Clinical Trial of Niacinamide 4% versus Hydroquinone 4% in the Treatment of Melasma; Dermatol Res Pract; 2011:379173.
147. Nassab R. (2015); The evidence behind noninvasive body contouring devices; Aesthet Surg J; 35(3); 279-93
148. Noordam R, Gunn DA, Tomlin CC, Maier AB, Mooijaart SP, Slagboom PE, Westendorp RG, de Craen AJ, van Heemst D; (2013); Leiden Longevity Study Group. High serum glucose levels are associated with a higher perceived age; Age (Dordr); 35(1);189-95.
149. Narda M, Bauza G, Valderas P, Granger C. (2018); Protective effects of a novel facial cream against environmental pollution: in vivo and in vitro assessment. Clin Cosmet Investig Dermatol; 11; 571-578
150. Oblong JE, Bissett DL, Ritter JL, Kurtz KK, Schnicker MS. (2002); Effect of niacinamide on collagen synthesis and markers of keratinocyte differentiation. Presented at: The 60th Annual Meeting of the American Academy of Dermatology; New Orleans.
151. Ogawa Y, Kinoshita M, Shimada S, Kawamura T. (2018); Zinc and Skin Disorders. Nutrients; 10(2); pii: E199.
152. Oyetakin-White P, Suggs A, Koo B, Matsui MS, Yarosh D, Cooper KD, Baron ED. (2015); Does poor sleep quality affect skin ageing?; Clin Exp Dermatol; 40(1);17-22
153. O'Daniel TG. (2011); Multimodal management of atrophic acne scarring in the aging face; Aesthetic Plast Surg; 35(6);1143-50.
154. Park JS, Mathison BD, Hayek MG, Massimino S, Reinhart GA, Chew BP. (2011); Astaxanthin stimulates cell-mediated and humoral immune responses in cats; Vet Immunol Immunopathol; 144(3-4);455-61
155. Passi S, De Pità O, Grandinetti M, Simotti C, Littarru GP. (2003); The combined use of oral and topical lipophilic antioxidants increases their levels both in sebum and stratum corneum; Biofactors; 18(1-4):289-97
156. Portugal-Cohen M, Oron M, Cohen D, Ma'or Z. (2017); Antipollution skin protection - a new paradigm and its demonstration on two active compounds; Clin Cosmet Investig Dermatol; ;10:185-193.
157. Pyun HB, Kim M, Park J, Sakai Y, Numata N, Shin JY, Shin HJ, Kim DU, Hwang JK. (2012); Effects of Collagen Tripeptide Supplement on Photoaging and Epidermal Skin Barrier in UVB-exposed Hairless Mice; Prev Nutr Food Sci; 17(4):245-53.
158. Piérard GE, Humbert P, Berardesca E, Gaspard U, Hermanns-Lê T, Piérard-Franchimont C. (2013); Revisiting the cutaneous impact of oral hormone replacement therapy; Biomed Res Int; 2013:971760
159. Posição da FEBRASGO sobre o Tratamento de "Modulação Hormonal" para o Antienvelhecimento; Febrasgo; 2018
160. Palm MD, Woodhall KE, Butterwick KJ, Goldman MP. (2010); Cosmetic use of poly-l-lactic acid: a retrospective study of 130 patients; Dermatol Surg; 36(2):161-70
161. Prestes PS, Oliveira MM, Leonardi GR. (2013); Randomized clinical efficacy of superficial peeling with 85% lactic acid versus 70% glycolic acid; An Bras Dermatol; 88(6);900-5.
162. Papakonstantinou E, Roth M, Karakiulakis G. (2012); Hyaluronic acid: A key molecule in skin aging. Dermatoendocrinol; ;4(3):253-8.
163. Pageon H, Zucchi H, Rousset F, Monnier VM, Asselineau D. (2014); Skin aging by glycation: lessons from the reconstructed skin model; Clin Chem Lab Med; 52(1):169-74
164. Pecorelli A, Woodby B, Prieux R, Valacchi G. (2019); Involvement of 4-hydroxy-2-nonenal in pollution-induced skin damage; Biofactors; [Epub ahead of print]
165. Pem D, Jeewon R. (2015); Fruit and Vegetable Intake: Benefits and Progress of Nutrition Education Interventions- Narrative Review Article; Iran J Public Health; 44(10):1309-21.
166. Park SY, Byun EJ, Lee JD, Kim S, Kim HS. (2018); Air Pollution, Autophagy, and Skin Aging: Impact of Particulate Matter (PM(10)) on Human Dermal Fibroblasts; Int J Mol Sci; 19(9); pii: E2727.
167. Pie´rard GE, Pie´rard-Franchimont C, Quatresooz P. Chapter 22. (2014); Skin Ageprint: The Causative Factors. In: André O. Barel, Marc Paye, Howard I. Maibach. Handbook of Cosmetic Science and Technology, 3rd Edition, published by CRC Press; ISBN 9781842145647
168. Proksch E, Segger D, Degwert J, Schunck M, Zague V, Oesser S. (2014); Oral supplementation of specific collagen peptides has beneficial effects on human skin physiology: a double-blind, placebo-controlled study; Skin Pharmacol Physiol; 27(1):47-55
169. Pullar JM, Carr AC, Vissers MCM. (2017); The Roles of Vitamin C in Skin Health; Nutrients; 9(8); pii: E866
170. Quiroga RM. Chapter 1. (2005); Anti-Aging Medicine As It Relates to Dermatology. In: Cheryl M. Burgess. Cosmetic Dermatology, published by Springer Science & Business Media; ISBN 3540230645, 9783540230649
171. Rahman S, Bhatia K, Khan AQ, Kaur M, Ahmad F, Rashid H, Athar M, Islam F, Raisuddin S. (2008); Topically applied vitamin E prevents massive cutaneous inflammatory and oxidative stress responses induced by double application of 12-O-tetradecanoylphorbol-13-acetate (TPA) in mice; Chem Biol Interact; 172(3):195-205
172. Rahrovan S, Fanian F, Mehryan P, Humbert P, Firooz A. (2018); Male versus female skin: What dermatologists and cosmeticians should know; Int J Womens Dermatol; 4(3):122-130.
173. Rodan K, Fields K, Majewski G, Falla T. (2016); Skincare Bootcamp: The Evolving Role of Skincare. Plast Reconstr Surg Glob Open; 4(12 Suppl Anatomy and Safety in Cosmetic Medicine: Cosmetic Bootcamp):e1152.
174. Raine-Fenning NJ, Brincat MP, Muscat-Baron Y. (2003); Skin aging and menopause: implications for treatment; Am J Clin Dermatol; 4(6):371-8
175. Rosen J, Yosipovitch G. Skin Manifestations of Diabetes Mellitus. [Updated 2018 Jan 4]. In: Feingold KR, Anawalt B, Boyce A, et al., editors. Endotext [Internet]. South Dartmouth (MA): MDText.com, Inc.; 2000
176. Rzepecki AK, Murase JE, Juran R, Fabi SG, McLellan BN. (2019); Estrogen-deficient skin: The role of topical therapy. Int J Womens Dermatol; 5(2):85-90
177. Smith WP. (1996); Epidermal and dermal effects of topical lactic acid. J Am Acad Dermatol; 35(3 Pt 1); 388-91
178. Sami K, Elshahat A, Moussa M, Abbas A, Mahmoud A. (2015); Image analyzer study of the skin in patients with morbid obesity and massive weight loss; Eplasty; 15:e4
179. Samaras N, Papadopoulou MA, Samaras D, Ongaro F. (2014); Off-label use of hormones as an antiaging strategy: a review; Clin Interv Aging; 9:1175-86.
180. Schikowski T, Krutmann J. (2019); Air pollution (particulate matter and nitrogen dioxide) and skin aging; Hautarzt; 70(3):158-162
181. Sickles CK, Gross GP. Poly-L-Lactic Acid. [Updated 2019 Jan 23]. In: StatPearls [Internet]. Treasure Island (FL): StatPearls Publishing; 2019 Jan-. Available from: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK507871/
182. Shamalnasab M, Gravel SP, St-Pierre J, Breton L, Jäger S, Aguilaniu H. (2018); A salicylic acid derivative extends the lifespan of Caenorhabditis elegans by activating autophagy and the mitochondrial unfolded protein response; Aging Cell; 17(6):e12830.
183. Shao Y, He T, Fisher GJ, Voorhees JJ, Quan T. (2017); Molecular basis of retinol anti-ageing properties in naturally aged human skin in vivo; Int J Cosmet Sci; 39(1):56-65.
184. Sharad J. (2013); Glycolic acid peel therapy - a current review; Clin Cosmet Investig Dermatol; 6:281-8.
185. Sundelin T, Lekander M, Sorjonen K, Axelsson J. (2017); Negative effects of restricted sleep on facial appearance and social appeal; R Soc Open Sci; 4(5):160918
186. Schagen SK, Zampeli VA, Makrantonaki E, Zouboulis CC. (2012); Discovering the link between nutrition and skin aging; Dermatoendocrinol ;4(3):298-307
187. Sugawara T, Nakagawa N, Shimizu N, Hirai N, Saijo Y, Sakai S. (2019); Gender- and age-related differences in facial sebaceous glands in Asian skin, as observed by non-invasive analysis using three-dimensional ultrasound microscopy; Skin Res Technol; 25(3):347-354
188. Sherif S, Bendas ER, Badawy S. (2014); The clinical efficacy of cosmeceutical application of liquid crystalline nanostructured dispersions of alpha lipoic acid as anti-wrinkle. Eur J Pharm Biopharm; 86(2); 251-9
189. Santocono M, Zurria M, Berrettini M, Fedeli D, Falcioni G. (2006); Influence of astaxanthin, zeaxanthin and lutein on DNA damage and repair in UVA-irradiated cells. J Photochem Photobiol B; 85(3):205-15
190. Song H, Meng M, Cheng X, Li B, Wang C. (2017); The effect of collagen hydrolysates from silver carp (Hypophthalmichthys molitrix) skin on UV-induced photoaging in mice: molecular weight affects skin repair; Food Funct; 8(4):1538-1546
191. Spada F, Barnes TM, Greive KA. (2018); Skin hydration is significantly increased by a cream formulated to mimic the skin's own natural moisturizing systems. Clin Cosmet Investig Dermatol; 11:491-497
192. Singer S, Karrer S, Berneburg M. (2019); Modern sun protection; Curr Opin Pharmacol; 46:24-28.
193. Suganuma K, Nakajima H, Ohtsuki M, Imokawa G. (2010); Astaxanthin attenuates the UVA-induced up-regulation of matrix-metalloproteinase-1 and skin fibroblast elastase in human dermal fibroblasts; J Dermatol Sci; 58(2):136-42
194. Shalita AR, Smith JG, Parish LC, Sofman MS, Chalker DK. (1995); Topical nicotinamide compared with clindamycin gel in the treatment of inflammatory acne vulgaris; Int J Dermatol; 34(6):434-7.
195. Sorg O, Saurat JH. (2014); Topical retinoids in skin ageing: a focused update with reference to sun-induced epidermal vitamin A deficiency; Dermatology; 228(4):314-25
196. Soma Y, Kashima M, Imaizumi A, Takahama H, Kawakami T, Mizoguchi M. (2005); Moisturizing effects of topical nicotinamide on atopic dry skin; Int J Dermatol; 44(3):197-202.
197. Sparavigna A, Tenconi B, Giori AM, Bellia G, La Penna L. (2019); Evaluation of the efficacy of a new hyaluronic acid gel on dynamic and static wrinkles in volunteers with moderate aging/photoaging; Clin Cosmet Investig Dermatol; 12:81-90.
198. Tang SC, Yang JH. (2018); Dual Effects of Alpha-Hydroxy Acids on the Skin. Molecules; 23(4); pii: E863
199. Tang SC, Tang LC, Liu CH, Liao PY, Lai JC, Yang JH. (2019); Glycolic acid attenuates UVB-induced aquaporin-3, matrix metalloproteinase-9 expression, and collagen degradation in keratinocytes and mouse skin; Biochem J; 476(10):1387-1400
200. Tran D, Townley JP, Barnes TM, Greive KA. (2015); An antiaging skin care system containing alpha hydroxy acids and vitamins improves the biomechanical parameters of facial skin; Clin Cosmet Investig Dermatol; 8:9-17
201. Traber MG, Stevens JF. (2011); Vitamins C and E: beneficial effects from a mechanistic perspective; Free Radic Biol Med; 51(5):1000-13
202. Trojahn C, Dobos G, Lichterfeld A, Blume-Peytavi U, Kottner J. (2015); Characterizing facial skin ageing in humans: disentangling extrinsic from intrinsic biological phenomena; Biomed Res Int ;2015:318586
203. Tominaga K, Hongo N, Fujishita M, Takahashi Y, Adachi Y. (2017); Protective effects of astaxanthin on skin deterioration; J Clin Biochem Nutr; 61(1):33-39
204. Thornton MJ. (2013); Estrogens and aging skin; Dermatoendocrinol; 5(2):264-70
205. The American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS) The American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery Reports Americans Spent More Than 12 Billion in 2014: Procedures for Men Up 43% Over Five Year Period.
206. Thiele JJ, Hsieh SN, Ekanayake-Mudiyanselage S. (2005); Vitamin E: critical review of its current use in cosmetic and clinical dermatology; Dermatol Surg; 31(7 Pt 2):805-13; discussion 813.
207. Tito A, Barbulova A, Zappelli C, Leone M, Ruvo M, Mercurio FA, Chambery A, Russo R, Colucci MG, Apone F. (2019); The Growth Differentiation Factor 11 is Involved in Skin Fibroblast Ageing and is Induced by a Preparation of Peptides and Sugars Derived from Plant Cell Cultures. Mol Biotechnol; 61(3):209-220
208. Umar M, Sastry KS, Chouchane AI. (2018); Role of Vitamin D Beyond the Skeletal Function: A Review of the Molecular and Clinical Studies; Int J Mol Sci; 19(6); pii: E1618.
209. Urbańska M, Nowak G, Florek E. (2012); Cigarette smoking and its influence on skin aging; Przegl Lek; 69(10):1111-4
210. Uruska A, Gandecka A, Araszkiewicz A, Zozulinska-Ziolkiewicz D. (2019); Accumulation of advanced glycation end products in the skin is accelerated in relation to insulin resistance in people with Type 1 diabetes mellitus; Diabet Med; 36(5):620-625
211. Vinogradova Y, Coupland C, Hippisley-Cox J. (2019); Use of hormone replacement therapy and risk of venous thromboembolism: nested case-control studies using the QResearch and CPRD databases; BMJ; ;364:k4810.
212. Vashi NA, de Castro Maymone MB, Kundu RV. (2016); Aging Differences in Ethnic Skin. J Clin Aesthet Dermatol; 9(1):31-8
213. Venus Legacy Body Shaping Featured on KTLA 5 News. Available From: https://www.venusconcept.com/en-us/news/venus-legacy-body-shaping-treatm...
214. Vender RB, Andriessen A, Barankin B, Freiman A, Kyritsis D, Mistos LM, Salsberg J, Amar L. (2019); Cohort Using a Ceramides Containing Cleanser and Cream With Salicylic Acid for Dry, Flaking, and Scaling Skin Conditions; J Drugs Dermatol; 18(1):80-85.
215. Vierkötter A, Krutmann J. (2012); Environmental influences on skin aging and ethnic-specific manifestations; Dermatoendocrinol; 4(3):227-31
216. Vetvicka V, Vannucci L, Sima P, Richter J. (2019); Beta Glucan: Supplement or Grug? From Laboratory to Clinical Trials; Molecules; 24(7); pii: E1251.
217. Vollmer DL, West VA, Lephart ED. (2018); Enhancing Skin Health: By Oral Administration of Natural Compounds and Minerals with Implications to the Dermal Microbiome; Int J Mol Sci; 19(10); pii: E3059
218. Vozella V, Basit A, Piras F, Realini N, Armirotti A, Bossù P, Assogna F, Sensi SL, Spalletta G, Piomelli D. (2019); Elevated plasma ceramide levels in post-menopausal women: a cross-sectional study; Aging (Albany NY); 11(1):73-88
219. Waller JM, Maibach HI. Chapter 23. (2014); A Quantitative Approach to Age and Skin Structure and Function: Protein, Glycosaminoglycan, Water, and Lipid Content and Structure. In: André O. Barel, Marc Paye, Howard I. Maibach. Handbook of Cosmetic Science and Technology, 3rd Edition, published by CRC Press; ISBN 9781842145647
220. Walker K, Zito PM. Hyaluronic Acid. [Updated 2019 May 1]. In: StatPearls [Internet]. Treasure Island (FL): StatPearls Publishing; 2019 Jan-. Available from: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK482440/
221. WebMD. Understanding Skin Care Products. Available From: https://www.webmd.com/beauty/skin-care-products#3-8
222. Walia HK, Mehra R. (2016); Overview of Common Sleep Disorders and Intersection with Dermatologic Conditions; Int J Mol Sci; 17(5); pii: E654
223. Wang AS, Dreesen O. (2018); Biomarkers of Cellular Senescence and Skin Aging. Front Genet; 9:247.
224. Wang SF, Liu X, Ding MY, Ma S, Zhao J, Wang Y, Li S. (2019); 2-O-β-d-glucopyranosyl-(l)-ascorbic acid, a novel vitamin C derivative from Lycium barbarum, prevents oxidative stress; Redox Biol; 24:101173.
225. Wang K, Jiang H, Li W, Qiang M, Dong T, Li H. (2018); Role of Vitamin C in Skin Diseases; Front Physiol; 9:819.
226. Wang Y, Viennet C, Jeudy A, Fanian F, He L, Humbert P. (2018); Assessment of the efficacy of a new complex antisensitive skin cream; J Cosmet Dermatol; 17(6):1101-1107
227. Warren MP, Shu AR, Dominguez JE. Menopause and Hormone Replacement. [Updated 2015 Feb 25]. In: Feingold KR, Anawalt B, Boyce A, et al., editors. Endotext [Internet]. South Dartmouth (MA): MDText.com, Inc.; 2000-. Available from: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK279050/
228. Watson RE, Long SP, Bowden JJ, Bastrilles JY, Barton SP, Griffiths CE. (2008); Repair of photoaged dermal matrix by topical application of a cosmetic 'antiageing' product; Br J Dermatol; 158(3):472-7
229. Wang N, Tan HY, Li S, Xu Y, Guo W, Feng Y. (2017); Supplementation of Micronutrient Selenium in Metabolic Diseases: Its Role as an Antioxidant; Oxid Med Cell Longev; 2017:7478523.
230. Xiong ZM, O'Donovan M, Sun L, Choi JY, Ren M, Cao K. (2017); Anti-Aging Potentials of Methylene Blue for Human Skin Longevity; Sci Rep; 7(1):2475.
231. Yamamoto Y, Uede K, Yonei N, Kishioka A, Ohtani T, Furukawa F. (2006); Effects of alpha-hydroxy acids on the human skin of Japanese subjects: the rationale for chemical peeling. J Dermatol; 33(1):16-22
232. Yue Y, Zhou H, Liu G, Li Y, Yan Z, Duan M. (2010); The advantages of a novel CoQ10 delivery system in skin photo-protection; Int J Pharm; 392(1-2):57-63
233. Yazdanparast T, Nasrollahi SA, Firouzabadi LI, Firooz A. (2018); A Phase II Trial to Assess the Safety and Efficacy of a Topical Repair Cream Containing Skin-identical Ceramide Complex in Patients with Contact Dermatitis; J Clin Aesthet Dermatol; 11(11):40-44
234. Yoon HS, Baik SH, Oh CH. (2002); Quantitative measurement of desquamation and skin elasticity in diabetic patients; Skin Res Technol; 8(4):250-4
235. Zasada M, Markiewicz A, Drożdż Z, Mosińska P, Erkiert-Polguj A, Budzisz E. (2019); Preliminary randomized controlled trial of antiaging effects of l-ascorbic acid applied in combination with no-needle and microneedle mesotherapy. J Cosmet Dermatol; 18(3):843-849.
236. Zhang S, Duan E. (2018); Fighting against Skin Aging: The Way from Bench to Bedside. Cell Transplant; 27(5):729-738.
237. Zito PM, Mazzoni T. Acitretin. [Updated 2018 Dec 2]. In: StatPearls [Internet]. Treasure Island (FL): StatPearls Publishing; 2019 Jan-. Available from: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK519571/
238. Zheng Y, Yin S, Xia Y, Chen J, Ye C, Zeng Q, Lai W. (2019); Efficacy and safety of 2% supramolecular salicylic acid compared with 5% benzoyl peroxide/0.1% adapalene in the acne treatment: a randomized, split-face, open-label, single-center study. Cutan Ocul Toxicol; 38(1):48-54
239. Zhai H, Behnam S, Villarama CD, Arens-Corell M, Choi MJ, Maibach HI. (2005); Evaluation of the antioxidant capacity and preventive effects of a topical emulsion and its vehicle control on the skin response to UV exposure; Skin Pharmacol Physiol; 18(6):288-93
240. Žmitek K, Pogačnik T, Mervic L, Žmitek J, Pravst I. (2017); The effect of dietary intake of coenzyme Q10 on skin parameters and condition: Results of a randomised, placebo-controlled, double-blind study; Biofactors; 43(1):132-140
241. Zhao Q, Ma YM, Jing L, Zheng TX, Jiang HF, Li PA, Zhang JZ. (2019); Coenzyme Q10 Protects Astrocytes from Ultraviolet B-Induced Damage Through Inhibition of ERK 1/2 Pathway Overexpression; Neurochem Res; 44(7):1755-1763
242. Zague V, do Amaral JB, Rezende Teixeira P, de Oliveira Niero EL, Lauand C, Machado-Santelli GM. (2018); Collagen peptides modulate the metabolism of extracellular matrix by human dermal fibroblasts derived from sun-protected and sun-exposed body sites. Cell Biol Int; 42(1):95-104
243. Zeichner JA, Del Rosso JQ. (2016); Multivesicular Emulsion Ceramide-containing Moisturizers: An Evaluation of Their Role in the Management of Common Skin Disorders; J Clin Aesthet Dermatol;9(12):26-32.
244. Zhang Q, Flach CR, Mendelsohn R, Mao G, Pappas A, Mack MC, Walters RM, Southall MD. (2015); Topically applied ceramide accumulates in skin glyphs. Clin Cosmet Investig Dermatol; 8:329-37.
245. Zahr AS, Kononov T, Sensing W, Biron JA, Gold MH. (2019); An open-label, single-site study to evaluate the tolerability, safety, and efficacy of using a novel facial moisturizer for preparation and accelerated healing pre and post a single full-face radiofrequency microneedling treatment; J Cosmet Dermatol; 18(1):94-106